Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Refill Those Cartridges!

So, I don't do a lot of printing at home. If I need a picture, I just upload it to a photo site and have it printed off at one of our local drugstores.  But, we are completely out of ink and I have 3 separate Teacher Appreciation projects for 3 different schools that involve lots of printing. (Thanks dear sister, for tossing your project my way, as well!)

I grabbed my empty cartridges and headed up to OfficeMax to buy some new ones.   On my drive up, I got to thinking about how it's great that we can recycle the empty ones, but what about taking it one step further? How about REFILLING them?  When you first walk in at our OfficeMax, there is a station for dropping off your cartridges to refill them. Approx. $10 for black & $15 for color.  I left them last night around 8pm and got a call this morning that they are ready.  So, while I didn't get to take them home right away, I still get them within 24 hours.  The one thing I worry about is how the printing will actually look.

Here's a little info:
PROS:
*Save money
*Reusing something made from plastic
*Reducing packing paper/plastic packaging by not buying new
*Someone else does the filling, so no mess
CONS:
*Have to wait to pick up the refill
*Questionable quality due to reusing cartridge heads made for single use only
*Air bubbles in reservoir can cause messy printing on the paper

I will update when I print to compare the quality of these refilled versus new cartridges!

No comments:

Post a Comment